Ghosts Next Door

Ghosts Next Door
by Lopaka Kapanui

Oct 15, 2019

100 Ghost Stories Counting Down To Halloween 2019 #18

KŪLANA


For a man my age, it seems funny to have a first name like "Kerry" but yes, thatʻs my name. Iʻm a Hanlan; weʻre Hawaiian on my motherʻs side and Caucasian-Vietnamese on my fatherʻs side.
Interesting combo I know; that combo used to work in my favor in my younger years because I was a good looking guy. Now, Iʻm older and I look the part. I was sitting in a coffee choke and puke one afternoon, just minding my own business. I wasnʻt there for the latteʻ and the angst-ridden customer service. I was there because of my need to get out of my stuffy house. In hindsight, I should have stayed home and turned on all the fans and opened all the windows.

I was scrolling through the news feed on my phone when through my peripheral, I noticed someone coming toward me. By the time I looked up, a person had already taken a seat at my table. It was Byron Hong. It had been decades since I last saw him but thatʻs not what caught me off guard, itʻs the fact that when we last saw each other, he was trying to kill me for sleeping with his wife. He wasnʻt too successful though; he had the right to do so and the rage to back it up. He just didnʻt have the skill. I just let him wear himself out until he was too exhausted to go on. I wonʻt go into the details except to say we managed to sit and have a long honest talk. Lotsa crying for sure, I admitted my guilt and my wrong, and by the time it was all said I done, I knew I couldnʻt walk away scot-free. I owed him. I let him have one for free, one good solid punch in my face. I turned my left cheek toward him at the last second and kinda leaned into it so it would make a good sound. Thatʻs the last time I saw him, and now heʻs sitting right in front of me.

"Bryon, weʻre too old for this. Iʻm outta shape. I canʻt run, so I will have to kill you in the first two seconds." I warned him.

"No worry you, datʻs pau long time already," he waved me off. "I saw you, and I just thought you should know that Sherelle and I divorced not too long after you and me when fight."

"You came all the way over here to tell me that?" I asked.

"No," he laughed. "I came to tell you that I heard Sherelle died a couple months ago; heart attack at home."

"Sorry to hear that Byron; you donʻt look like youʻre sad or anything?" I wondered out loud.

"Itʻs funny, this guy she was with now, he was trying to divorce her too, but she died!" Byron laughed out loud. "The husband was trying to sell the house, but no can, her ghost came back! Now she haunts the house and the property!"

He got up and patted me on the shoulder, and walked away laughing.

From now on, I'll stay home.










No comments:

Post a Comment