Ghosts Next Door

Ghosts Next Door
by Lopaka Kapanui

Jul 29, 2018

100 Ghost Stories Counting Down To Halloween 2018! #94

HE AIN'T DEAD HE'S MY BROTHER


My bonehead brother Derrick called me from Kapiolani Park to pick him up.  He said he’d be hanging out at the bandstand.
He always did stupid crap like this, he would take off in the morning and not tell anyone where he was going. When we would call him to find out where he was at, he never answered the phone; then he’d just show up at home with no explanation. I don’t have to tell you just how much that pisses my parents off, but now here he is calling me at 2 in the morning from Kapiolani Park. I’m half tempted to tell him to walk his ass home but if my parents find out they’ll just give me a whole bunch of grief, so I go. The park is well lit but there’s no sign of him waiting anywhere, it’s weird because not even the homeless are camped out at the bathroom like they usually are. I wait for another hour and in between that I call him and he never answers. I tell myself that I’m willing to risk my parents' wrath and I drive off, then my phone rings. It’s Derrick.

“What?” I’m irritated and I want him to know it.

“Why are you leaving? I told you to meet me at the bandstand!”He’s talking to me like I’m an idiot and I know he can’t be serious.

“Are you fucking kidding me? I’m the only car parked in this lot for the past hour and I haven’t seen your stupid ass one time! I’ve been calling you and you never answered!” I tell myself that before we get home I’m going to beat his ass.

“I was looking at you the whole time, you never looked at me once,” he didn’t sound like he was bothered that I was mad. “Come back around, I’m in front of the bandstand.”

I turn my car around and burn my tires toward the bandstand and he’s standing there near the steps, not in the front where he told me he'd be. He doesn’t move at all, he just stares at me. I roll my window down and I’m shrieking at this point. “What the hell are you waiting for??? Let’s go!!!”

He removes his cell phone from his pocket and holds it up and starts pointing to it, he wants me to answer my phone. What a god-damned idiot! Infuriated, I pick up the phone with murderous intent, “Get in the car dumb ass!”

“Can I leave the park?” He asks blankly. “Can I leave the park big brother?”

I get a closer look at him and I see him holding the phone to the side of his face but his mouth isn’t moving. Yet, I can hear him on the phone. “Can I leave the park? Can I leave?”

He turns his phone off and puts it back in his pocket and shrugs his shoulders and turns around. He walks into the darkness of the park. All the while I can still hear him on the phone, “Can I leave the park big brother? Can I leave?”

I reverse and move the car so that’s it directed in the area where I saw Derrick walk off, I hit the high beams but there’s no Derrick, he’s gone. “Don’t leave me here big brother, don’t leave me at the park,” his voice kept saying. Every attempt I made to leave would be thwarted by a phone call from Derrick and every time I went back to get him, he’d disappear. His voice on the phone, however, would not stop. I’d finally had enough and went back home. By that time the light of a new day had dawned. Imagine my surprise when I get home and find Derrick fast asleep on the couch, I punched him in his thigh so hard it jolted him out his sleep. “Ohhhhwwwww, what the hell?”

“What the hell?” I hissed at him. “What the hell is this?” I got out my cell phone from my pocket and attempted to show him the times of all his calls but there was nothing. Neither was there a trace of his phone having ever called mine, not one. My phone also showed that I never ended my call with him but when I put it on speaker so he could hear himself on the other end telling me he can’t leave the park, there was nothing but a busy signal.

“Did you or did you not call me at 2 this morning and ask me to pick you up at Kapiolani Park bandstand?” I was growling under my breath and I was ready to punch him.

“No, I’ve been here the whole time,” he insisted. He showed me his phone and sure enough, there was nothing there. No phone calls between he and I were ever exchanged during the time I went to pick him up. If he’d been at home the whole time, how come I didn't see him? Now I wonder who or what it was that called me and lured me to Kapiolani Park in the dead of night? Truthfully, I’m in no rush to find out.



No comments:

Post a Comment